Thursday, June 12, 2008

Last Day

It's the last day, and I am sad! Time goes so fast when you are doing fun things. Actually time seems to go fast any way you do it. The last couple days have been full of reflection and group work, and it has been fun to begin the long process of divining what this trip will mean to me. I think a lot of people are worried that they are going to get home and forget about all the personal growth that has been goin' on in the face of old friends and habits. I definitely share this fear, although I am going to try really hard to continue the work that has begun here.

I think our project to help Priscilla (who I mentioned in a previous blog) redo her house will be good to keep me reminded of the principles we have been working to establish in our lives; namely, a bolstered sense of needing to help people and a new emphasis on involvement in community and awareness of others. After seeing the state of Priscilla's home and the level of dedication she has to the children of her community, we decided to raise some money that we can donate to help improve her living conditions. She is a truly virtuous person, and she really needs the help taking care of some very basic needs. I am also getting really excited to begin volunteering at the Good Samaritan Specialty center and help out with their music therapy. I have been talking about doing this for the last seven months, and I think this summer will finally present me with the time to get involved for real.

The world is a big place, and it needs dedicated people willing to give their time to help others and raise awareness of social problems. I have never been one to get very involved in these kinds of project, and I think I am going to use this trip as motivation to finally get involved in a big way. My original logic for doing the leadership minor included this as a goal, and I am excited to finally realize my potential to be present in a public service setting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home